Working With Contextual Advertising & SEO
Regardless as to whether you manage a commercial project, or your website is used solely for informational purposes, there is an indisputable fact that websites on the Internet require promotion. Within this article we’re going to discuss the two most frequently used methods of promotion – SEO and Contextual Advertising to give you an idea of where to begin when looking to boost your search results.
Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization (SEO), is the implementation of numerous techniques designed to increase the level of trust and relevance for search engines – Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. The main role played in SEO revolves around focusing the content and material used on a website towards user search requests, commonly known as keywords.
Content is the primary method of promotion when it comes to any format of website. Search engines determine the relevance and trust for a website compared to the request of the user, based on the content provided on each individual page.
Actions taken to improve a website’s SEO can be divided into two groups:
1. Internal Optimization. This is a general concept that includes a large number of factors:
- Content quality and uniqueness.
- The structure of your website navigation – is your content structured within a logical hierarchy? Do you use text based links? Using images or buttons for navigation isn’t a positive SEO technique.
- The correct use and implementation of a robots.txt file, and sitemap.xml file. This is especially important in a CMS environment.
- Using meta tags appropriately and effectively (title, description, keywords) not only for content pages but articles. In addition the use – or lack – of alt descriptions can impact your page relevance.
- Identifying and making structured use of a strong set of semantically relevant keywords throughout your website, and content.
- Social factors.
- The use of images, semantic tags such as article, tables, videos, numbered and bulleted lists, and headings.
2. External Optimization. This is the weighting of external references to your website:
- Acquiring backlinks through the use of cataloging in popular databases and web crawlers (DMOZ, Google, Yahoo, etc.).
- Obtaining references and recommendations through the use of advertising.
When working with SEO it is important to understand that there are no instant results – it is a long-term plan which will bring about positive results in the future. Keeping on plan and waiting for these results to flourish are a key to the survival and usefulness of a website, changing content frequently on users can provide a confusing experience, and failing to wait for SEO outcomes can impact on the success of the overall process.
SEO provides many advantages including a strength and stability to your web presence, on top of providing the basis of quality content and ratings . Of the minuses – it is a long song, and not everyone has the patience, capacity, or experience, to carry it through to the final verse.
Contextual advertising can provide a quick and effective method of promoting traffic to your website, even if it quite new.
Advantages of contextual advertising:
- Pay-per-click advertising, therefore you only pay for the physical clicks to your advertisements.
- Far more flexible settings and options.
- The ability to change the time and frequency of ad displaying.
- Simple and straightforward setup.
- Relatively inexpensive form of promotion.
- Campaigns can have a quick impact and resulting effect.
The cost of contextual advertising depends on the following factors:
- The degree of competition requests (the higher, the more expensive it will be per click for your advertisement).
- Frequency of your advertisement, as well as where it is displayed.
- Geography and region of your target audience.
- The efficiency of your ads can also impact this – the ration of impressions to the frequency of clicks on them.
Contextual advertising is an available medium for promotion the second a new project has had its content finalised and been published, even if the website’s domain is only a week old. The important aspect here is quality setup of the ads and monitoring of your traffic.
By the way, contextual advertising is great for testing your website. It offers the ability to gain website traffic quickly, while gauging the behavior of users. This provides statistics, analytics, and food for thought on how to improve certain elements of your project.
In general, contextual advertising is a good thing, especially at first. It can and should be used, but an emphasis on it alone will not do. On a long-term basis it should only be used if you know and understand all the details of the context and can conduct an advertising campaign that will benefit the project.
When it comes to contextual advertising there are great pluses – that it is a speedy way to generate traffic, and can also be used to provide a well needed boost to existing quality traffic. These pluses are paired with negatives though – with contextual advertising requiring a monetary input per click without an absolute guarantee of quality traffic. At the end of the day, websites with quality content that are ready for traffic can prosper from the implementation of this promotional technique, elsewise websites that aren’t ready for traffic run the risk of draining their budget.
It is important to strive to obtain an organic source of website traffic that comes from search engines for key requests. This technique, however, is a long played game and can take weeks to months to positively propagate traffic sources.
To speed up the process and for the purpose of testing your website, contextual advertising can be a highly valuable technique. It will not help though if the website itself has weak content. Having a user open a link and remain on the website for only ten seconds is not what you need.
In general, for the effective and positive promotion of your project, a mix of SEO and Contextual Advertising is needed. They enhance the effect of each other, and therefore are both handy tools, practices, and techniques.